top of page
  • Writer's pictureSubhan Tariq, Esq

Correcting Your Credit

There are three main, national consumer credit reporting agencies (CRAs): Experian Information Solutions, Inc.; Equifax Information Services, LLC; and Trans Union LLC (the "Big Three").

How CRAs get Information:

Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union all collect information from court records, banks, credit card companies, finance companies, department stores, cellular phone companies, court records, and many other companies issuing credit. The “Big Three” do not necessarily have the same credit information because not all creditors send reports to all three agencies and the agencies do not all collect information from the same public records.

When a business inquiries into or "pulls" your credit report, a search program or algorithm pulls information from the CRAs’ vast databases based on your "personal identifiers", such as your name, address, date of birth, and social security number. The search algorithm is supposed to filter out obsolete credit information and credit information that doesn't belong to you. The remaining information is combined into one report. Your credit report isn't something fixed since the information used to create your credit report is constantly changing as creditors constantly provide new information about you.


Get a copy of your Report: Consumers may obtain a free copy of their consumer report online at once every twelve months from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

You are also entitled to a free report within sixty days of credit denial. The agency on which denial is based will be mentioned in the notice.


Errors in Credit Reports Occur Often. Fraud, data entry mistakes, and improper merging of information by the CRA are all examples of common errors. The errors can be caused by the creditor, the CRA, a thief, a collection agency, or public record.

Creditor error: The creditor or "furnisher" of information to the CRA provides the information in a database format that allows the CRA to bring the information right into its database without entering everything again. The individual pieces of data are known as "fields." Some creditors use different database formats, leading to problems in providing correct consumer information, especially regarding bankruptcy.

Incorrect names: An incorrect name or social security number input by the creditor can go to the wrong consumer's file (e.g., incomplete consumer's name such as "J.M. Jones" could either be "John Michael Jones" or "Jay Milhous Jones" or any other combination, "Sam" could be "Samuel," "Samson," or a female "Samantha.") This frequently happens with common names or where there is a junior/senior relationship.

Collection agency error: You can sue collection agencies that improperly report the information. Some companies intentionally (and illegally) place collection accounts on credit reports to get the victim to pay. Improperly reported information can also appear because creditors and credits agencies sometimes don’t provide enough identification details when inputting new information into a file.

CRA error: Most credit reporting agencies use name, address, social security number, and date of birth to identify who you are. The CRA can cause an error by incorrectly merging information where identifying information is similar. This happens most frequently where there is a junior/senior relationship. It also can happen when social security digits are similar within two digits. If the adult child with the same name as the parent moves home, big problems can result. There can also be problems where a recently married spouse has the same first name as a stepchild or the ex-spouse.

Public records error: The “Big Three” pay companies to go through court files and official records to obtain information. If the reporting agency does not have the company check often enough, the fact that a judgment or bankruptcy was later vacated or satisfied may not get reported.


Documents are important. Many credit card companies, banks, and even credit reporting agencies provide toll-free numbers and websites you can use to dispute credit errors. It's better to document your credit error dispute on paper. If you use the phone, then you need to follow up in writing. Acknowledge the conversation (e.g. "this letter is a follow-up to my conversation by phone with your representative named Joe Smith in which we discussed . . ."). Send everything in writing by certified mail return receipt requested. There are many reasons to write the dispute in addition to, or instead of, over the phone.

Show concern. Just the fact that you bothered to collect your thoughts and write formally shows that you truly are concerned with the credit errors on your report. If you need the help of an attorney or regulatory agency later, they are more likely to take note of the seriousness with which you regard the matter.

Accurately track cases. There may be many people involved in your dispute before it is resolved. First, many of the employees of credit institutions turn over regularly and you may be sent to a different person for each investigation. Also, you may need to show your paperwork to attorneys, law enforcement (in fraud cases), regulatory agencies, and perhaps to a court. Having documents helps others "get up to speed." Many credit companies use software to have a chronology of their contacts with you but it is recorded in a very self-serving manner to make the company look reasonable at your expense.

Trigger a legal effect. The obligations of some credit companies under some laws are not triggered unless you provide a written dispute.


Send disputes to CRAs. Send dispute letters directly to the CRA. You must put the credit reporting agencies on notice.

Send credit disputes by certified mail return receipt requested. Many attorneys who deal with credit reporting issues think it is imperative you send the disputes by certified mail return receipt requested instead of by phone and over the internet. With certified mail, you can track the letter all the way to the credit reporting agency and document its receipt.

Where to send credit disputes: It is not absolutely necessary to send disputes to the company furnishing incorrect credit information to the CRA, but it is the only way you can be certain that the furnisher of the disputed information is fully aware of your complaint. The CRAs do not send your dispute documents to the furnisher of information—they typically just summarize the dispute into a code. Your affidavit, police report, or copies of other relevant documents will not be sent on. Send it by certified mail return receipt requested.

Styles of credit disputes: With disputes, you want to provide the information necessary to have your dispute investigated and convey what is happening to you as a result of the false credit reporting.

Want to know more about FCRA? Send us an email here or contact us 718-674-1245,



LOGO orange.png
Call to Schedule a Consultation
PHONE: (212) 804-9095 or CLICK HERE to email the Firm 
shoot us an Email

Your Message has been sent!

bottom of page